Original equipment for the headworks grit removal system at Belle Glade’s wastewater treatment plant had fallen into disrepair and was no longer operational. Globaltech was selected as a design-build company to evaluate different upgrade options and provide design, construction and commissioning services.
The existing system was comprised of two grit removal trains utilizing the Jones+Attwood Jeta Grit Removal system, including circular grit chambers, paddle-wheel mechanisms, air-lift grit pumps, grit classifiers, and grit dumpsters.
Work under this contract was administered by Palm Beach County Housing and Community Development and followed the requirements of the Davis-Bacon Fair Labor Act.
Project Achievements / Benefits
- Sent the drives to a machine shop for inspection and rehabilitation
- Repaired, blasted, coated, lubricated, and re-installed the two Jeta Grit Systems
- Removed existing out-of-service grit conveyors and installed two new stainless steel grit classifiers
- Modified the support piers and drain system
- Replaced galvanized grit air piping and valves with new 316 stainless steel pipe and valves
- Performed miscellaneous repair work on the headworks electrical panel and the blowers
- Installed new emergency stop controls at each grit classifier location
- Replaced grit discharge piping
- Installed new wheels and drain fittings on the aluminum grit dumpsters
- Constructed a curbed concrete pad with drain for the grit classifiers to prevent any significant dumpster spillage from spreading over the site