Under a continuing design-build services contract with Palm Beach County Water Utilities Department (PBCWUD), Globaltech was asked to design, permit, and construct improvements to the East Central Regional Water Reclamation Facility (ECRWRF) in two phases.
At a total demand of 29 MGD, the facility is the primary source of cooling water to FPL’s West County Energy Center.
Of primary importance among the many assigned tasks was construction of immediate, facility-wide safety improvements identified in a previous consultant’s report. These improvements were fast-tracked for design and permitting, and prioritized in the construction projects.
The project involved multiple stakeholders, including PBCWUD, ECRWRF Operations, FPL, and Globaltech. Due to the critical nature of the facility, a specialized shutdown and notification procedure was developed to alert and solicit buy-in electronically from all stakeholders prior to any interruption of service.
Project Achievements / Benefits
- Installation of Owner-supplied 600HP vertical turbine high service can pump and header expansion
- Installation of 420 LF of buried 48-inch CLDI bypass piping and valves, testing, and commissioning of same
- Replacement of baffle curtain in 2.0 MG storage tank
- Flash mix slide gate replacement and installation of new flash mixer drives, shafts, and paddles
- New progressing cavity hypochlorite feed pumps
- New 600HP VFD and switchgear modifications
- Two new grinder pump stations
- Repairs and modifications to existing hypochlorite tank farm and piping system
- Installation of additional instrumentation at the West County Energy Center to provide feedback to plant staff
- Safety improvements including handrail and grating modifications and replacements, fall protection improvements, walkway egress, and labeling and signage